RECIPE: Guilt Free Frosted Chocolate Brownies
Guilt Free Frosted Chocolate Brownies
This easy to make brownie recipe is one of my regular go to baking recipes when I want to have a sweet treat or am having friends over. These brownies are a lovely gooey treat with the benefit of protein from the nuts and essential fatty acids from the avocado. You are also getting a blast of antioxidants from the dates and cocoa powder plus organic cocoa powder has been shown to support healthy blood pressure.
300 grams hazelnuts
300 grams soft pitted Medjool dates
5 tablespoons cocoa powder (I like Green & Blacks Organic Cocoa Powder)
1 tablespoon maple syrup 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Chocolate Avocado Frosting:
1 ripe avocado
5 tablespoons maple syrup
4 tablespoons cocoa powder
3 tablespoons almond butter
2 tablespoons softened coconut oil
1) Blitz 200 grams of the hazelnuts in a food processor until a fine flour like substance is formed.
2) Add all the remaining brownie ingredients except the remaining 100 grams of hazelnuts. Mix until the mixture is smooth, well mixed and sticky. Then add the remaining hazelnuts and blitz until they are chopped into small pieces.
3) Line a 20cm X 28cm brownie tin with grease proof paper or grease the tin with butter or coconut oil. Place the mixture into the tin and smooth across the tin so the mixture is about 1 com thick.
4) Clean the food processor and make the frosting by blending all the ingredients together in the food processor until the mixture is glossy, creamy and completely combined.
5) Top the brownie mixture with the chocolate avocado frosting.
6) Leave to set in the fridge for 20-30 minutes.
Optional: sprinkle with a light dusting of cocoa powder.
Recipe brought to you by Jennifer Still of White Feather Nutrition