RECIPE: Chocolate Tart with Orange Caramel
This is a favourite dessert of friends and family of mine, even the ones who are difficult to convert to ‘healthy dessert options’.
This tart has a lovely chocolatey taste and the texture is chewy and very satisfying.
Not an orange and chocolate fan? You can leave out the orange juice and zest and add 6 tablespoons of a nut butter OR 2 tablespoons of instant coffee dissolved in 1 tablespoon of boiling water (the latter being my favourite!).
130 grams of pecans
150 grams of almonds (or use 150 grams ground almonds)
156 grams soft pitted medjool dates
¼ teaspoon of salt
350 grams pitted mejool dates
¼ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons softened coconut oil
300ml orange juice
2 tablespoons of orange zest
125 grams soft pitted mejool dates
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
125 grams almond butter
150 grams oat or almond milk
1) Preheat oven to 180 degrees gas. Grease a 24cm tart tin.
2) Blend all the nut crust ingredients in a food processor until well mixed. Line the greased tin with the crust and bake for 8 minutes until brown and slightly firm.
3) Blend all the orange caramel ingredients together and spoon over baked nut crust.
4) Make the chocolate torte by blending all the ingredients in a food processor. Spoon the chocolate mixture over the orange caramel. Bake for 15-20 minutes until chocolate torte is firm but not hard.
5) Once baked, leave in fridge for 30 minutes and sprinkle with orange zest before serving.
Recipe brought to you by Jennifer Still of White Feather Nutrition