RECIPE: Sweet Potato Falafel
Each ball is packed with nutrients and flavourful ingredients. Your body will thank you for the B vitamins, alkalising lemon, fibre and warming spices. Makes a lovely dinner or lunch meal.
For the falafel (makes about 10 falafels)
• 1 medium sweet potato
• 2 spring onions roughly chopped
• 1 tablespoon fresh coriander roughly chopped
• 2 teaspoons ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
• 1/2 teaspoon fresh chilli finely chopped (or a sprinkle of dried chipotle chili)
• 1/ teaspoon garlic powder (or one small fresh clove crushed)
• 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
• 1 teaspoon almond nut butter
• 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
• 1 tablespoon coconut flour or chickpea flour (normal flour is fine if you aren’t gluten free)
• Generous pinch mineral rich salt
• 1 heaping teaspoon of organic butter or coconut oil
For the tahini dressing
• 1 generous teaspoon tahini
• Juice 1/2 fresh lemon
• Water to thin
Heat a fan assisted oven to 220°C fan.
Line a pan with baking paper. Peel and cut the sweet potato into chunks and roast for 25 minutes.
Whilst this is cooking prepare and add all of the other falafel ingredients (except the frying oil) into a food processor. Once the sweet potato has finished cooking add to the food processor too. Pulse to get a smooth consistency (approx 5 minutes). You will need to stop and scrape a couple of times. Next remove the mixture from the processor and using 1 tablespoon per falafel roll into small balls.
Next use a small amount of olive oil and toss continuously in the heat for around 3-4 minutes.
Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
Serve with a green salad, avocado & quinoa. Drizzle with the tahini dressing and enjoy!
Recipe brought to you by Jennifer Still of White Feather Nutrition